Monday, May 17, 2010

Lesson 19 Reflections

Admittedly, I've just gotten started with podcasting and it sounds very powerful, especially when you see what some of these first graders accomplish. I don't feel, at this time, however, that I've got my arms around how to apply it to my teaching situations. I do appreciate the power from a development perspective and have listened to two podcasts which I share with you below. The first addresses the increasingly relevent subject of how you evaluate a teacher. The second is about the equally controversial subject of the value of the liberal arts experience and how to make it more meaningful. http://learningmatters.tv/blog/podcasts/race-to-the-top-podcast-how-to-judge-a-teacher/4360/. http://learningmatters.tv/blog/podcasts/podcast-liberal-arts-in-this-job-market/3962/.

2 comments:

  1. I know that sometimes it is hard to wrap your head around the classroom applications, so I am happy to see that you have found some professional uses. Have you considered podcasts for text that might be better heard than read? I know when I took AP English Lit, I found it easier to hear Milton than to read Milton. I could say the same with Shakespeare. Sometimes you lose Shakespeare's wit and sarcasm when you read it for the first time. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While your comment about hearing as opposed to reading is a very good one relative to what inflection brings to understanding and appreciation of the written word, my inclination has been to have students read to one another. That way the readers have the benefit of interpreting while the listeners can get multiple perspectives. That having been said, I'll have to give some more thought to doing podcasts of the best readings.

    ReplyDelete