Tuesday, May 4, 2010
Lesson 15 Reflections
I don't mean to sound negative, but reader and delicious seem to be enhancements to email, which depend to a certain degree on your need to be able to interface to items of interest from different computers. In delicious, I can share easily and I can tag for easy recall, but I can share on email and I can store in folders using outlook. Also, with outlook, I don't have to be jumping between two different web sites. Alerts are something else. If I understand them correctly, they're really something along with tags tied to reader. I'm going to have to watch this to make sure that I'm understanding this, but essentially this means that I have an automatic researcher working for me gathering material on my subjects of interest even while I sleep. This powerful for me, my colleagues and my students.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think that social bookmarking is something a little ahead of it's time. I am not sure that anyone has an exact idea what the burning issue is that this addresses. I think of it more like a technology in search of a use. It's kind of like, "hey, here's the technology, have at it folks" kind of thing.
ReplyDeleteRemember, the Xerox copier was created at a time where no one could conceive of needing more than three copies. The populace needed to realize the need before the company could be successful.
So I guess what I am trying to say is, play with it. Maybe you'll be the one to figure out the need.
I agree with Skip. For someone like me, who bookmarks hundreds of sites, Delicious makes my life so much simpler. When I want to visit a certain SMARTBoard site, I don't have to scroll through my entire list. I can type in the tag and find it immediately.
ReplyDeleteMy wife, who does not bookmark as much as I do, just loves that she can retrieve her "Favorites" when she is away from her own laptop.